All applicants must submit a video audition.
We are looking for stage presence as well as musicality. This doesn’t need to be a “polished” recording – usually cellphone video will suffice, as long as we can hear your instrument clearly. Be intentional with your video, but don’t obsess too much over it to the point that you never send it in!
Upload your video to youtube and send us the link. (You may also mail your video on a DVD or USB key, etc. if you prefer – our address is at the bottom of the page.)
- State your name and the position you’re applying for at the beginning of each section of your recording.
- Some of your content can be copied from recent videos of your performances.
- Make sure we can hear your part very clearly through the music. This is important: many auditions have had to be redone because the applicant was not distinguishable on the recording.
Specific to Bassists
We need to see three things from every bass applicant. Each of these sections should be 1-3 minutes in length in order to give us a good idea of your talent and ability in each area:
- Play a recognizable bass line: Demonstrate your ability to mimic a bass line that you hear in a recorded song. This doesn’t have to be anything crazy, but something with frequent note changes and a good groove (see suggested songs below).
- Play from a chord chart: Demonstrate your ability to play a song that you’re familiar with but don’t have completely memorized by reading off a chord chart. Show us a quick shot of the chart you’re playing from in your video. This section should demonstrate how you mimic the feel of the song you’re playing and how you build energy between different sections (for instance, from a verse into a chorus). It also gives us a sense of how naturally you read and play progressions that you haven’t memorized.
- Play with other musicians: Your ability to play with a band is crucial. Please play a well-known song in the pop/rock genre and fill the appropriate role in the ensemble (see list below for some suggestions). Play with a full band (like your worship team) if at all possible–but if you can’t arrange for a full band, it’s okay to play along with just one or two other instruments.
Here is a list of suggested songs for the different parts of your bass audition. You aren’t required to use any of the songs listed here – they are simply suggestions.
Recognizable Bass Line:
Chord Chart Reading: